Huntington Beach, CA.
- Interior remodel of a 1971 suburban tract home.
- Clients desired an open space that would be conducive for entertaining and viewing art.
- The existing house had small rooms with low ceilings, linoleum tiled floors and a cumbersome brick fireplace that blocked the access and views to the backyard.
- Strategy called for moving the fireplace to the middle of the house, relocating the center of the home both symbolically and structurally.
- Kitchen was completely opened up by raising the ceiling and by the addition of a large window and island counter.
- Sculptural qualities were accentuated by the use of contrasting materials - ebony wood cabinetry, multi-colored stone and redwood cladding on the ceiling.